Canadian PET Thermoform Recycling Initiative
In response to the Canadian PET thermoform recycling initiative, Green Bay Packaging is offering several new pressure-sensitive label materials. These stocks meet the Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers’ (APR) Protocol for Evaluating PET Thermoform Labels and Adhesives for Compatibility with PET Recycling.
Grocery members of the Retail Council of Canada (RCC) started this effort to increase the availability of recyclable packaging in their stores. PET thermoformed packaging (clamshell) is the fastest-growing type of packaging in the market. The adhesive used to attach labels is often so strong that the label cannot be removed and this prevents the containers from being properly recycled. The new protocol identifies adhesives that allow the labels to adhere, as well as have them be removed prior to recycling.
More information on this protocol is available at www.plasticsrecycling.org/index.php/pet-resins/pet-thermoforms.
The following Green Bay Packaging label materials conform to the APR protocol.
- 054SG/770S/40SC – S8240760 – Semi-gloss paper with an all-temperature adhesive.
- A 53# blue-white semi-gloss paper with an adhesive designed to work on frozen, refrigerated, and shelf-stable products.
- 054SG/780S/40SC – S8247960 – Semi-gloss paper with a general-purpose permanent adhesive.
- A 53# blue-white semi-gloss paper with an adhesive designed to work on refrigerated and shelf-stable products.
- 023VT/780S/40SC – S8247860 – Top-coated direct thermal paper with a general-purpose permanent adhesive.
- A 50# top-coated direct thermal paper with an adhesive designed to work on refrigerated and shelf-stable products.
Click here to request product samples.